Monday, December 15, 2014

Playing Hooky, Pt. 1



It was April 2000. Our plan was hatched at The Chicken Pie Shop on El Cajon Boulevard, and then it was sealed at the Red Fox Tavern just down the street. Hanging out with my coworkers Arlette and CK1, the three of us were working for a dot.bomb company that was on its last legs. Layoffs were imminent, we had no work to do (because there was no money to print our magazine or fund the tour that CK1 was hired to manage). We were pretty much crying in our beer as we all saw the proverbial handwriting on the wall. We decided the only thing to do was to take the next day off and go to Disneyland. We called up Arlette's friend Kelly and voilĂ , our quartet of fun had been formed. The three of us called in sick; yes…I am sure it was something we ate at the Chicken Pie Shop!

It is hard for me to believe this was over 14 years ago; oh how time flies. It looks like the park was celebrating its 45th anniversary.

In those days, I almost always started my Disneyland trips in New Orleans Square. The Haunted Mansion was typically my first "must do" on the list of attractions to ride.



Personally, Big Thunder has not really been a huge fave of mine, but my friends love it, so there you are.



I don't remember doing so, but apparently I handed off my camera to my friends on this trip. And frequently. I can guarantee you it happens only once in a blue moon these days.



A selfie. Even then, I was waaaay ahead of my time.



You'll also notice that back in 2000, I was more interested in shooting my friends than the attraction itself.



This day is a bit foggy in my memory, but I do remember the temperatures being somewhat cooler. Still, we decided to go on Splash Mountain.



Looks like we got fairly wet.



A few interior views, complete with my camera's automatic flash. Oops.





Mickey's Toontown was still relatively new for me at this point. My most recent trip to the park had been at least two years before this. Oh how things change.



And this is where my story ends…until tomorrow

See more Daveland vintage & current Disneyland photos at my main website.

1 comment:

stu29573 said...

Hooky at Disneyland sounds like a great idea!! Oh, wait, I'm in Texas....