Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Spin Around the Carrousel

Disneyland's King Arthur Carrousel typically gets the shaft when I visit Disneyland. Even though it's smack-dab in the middle of Fantasyland, I typically don't pay much attention to it as I rush to get in line for one of the dark rides. Today's post is a tribute to this beauty with a mix of new and old images, some previously unpublished, such as this 1959 shot below. I love it when there is a band or music group playing on the Carrousel. It adds an extra element of fun to this attraction that makes you feel like you're a kid again.

An undated image of the Carrousel:

and the obligatory detailed view of the signage:

This March 1956 photo is one of my favorites from my collection, showing a refurbishment in progress less than one year after the park was open.

From September 1958:

The band takes a spin around on August 7, 1957:

with a flash forward to the Pearly Band in a recent view:

I hereby solemnly swear to ride the Carrousel when I visit next month…as long as it's open!

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr.

See more Daveland King Arthur Carrousel photos at my main website.


K. Martinez said...

I take a ride on the King Arthur Carrousel once every trip I take down to the Resort. For me, it's at the very heart of Disneyland. I love watching the panorama of Fantasyland fly by when riding the Carrousel. I still find it quite magical.

One of the ways I keep Disneyland fresh for me is to once in a while forego the usual stuff I do at Disneyland and target the attractions, restaurants and shops I usually ignore or say I will do one day. It makes a visit to the Park feel like a new experience again. Last trip I rode the Canoes and did the Shooting Gallery, both of which I hadn't done in many years. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The one thing I still haven't done at Disneyland is Café Orleans and a Monte Cristo sandwich. That's for next visit.

Fifthrider said...

Around the time of the release of Saving Mr. Banks I noticed a bit of additional ridership on the Carousel. Nice to see the improved interest thanks to a little mention here and there.