Friday, April 12, 2013

I said Asheville, Not Nashville, Pt. 2

When I knew I was going to Asheville for a conference, I was most excited about getting to see the George Vanderbilt estate, The Biltmore. It definitely, did not disappoint!

Obviously, from this panorama shot that I took, the sheer size of the property will bowl you over.

Having lived in southern california for the last 14 years, I often forget that there still exists undeveloped land where trees and wildlife are still in abundance. Even harder to believe that this is all part of a private estate.

Drawing in a bit closer, I also enjoyed all of the architectural details that were in abundance:

I only had two disappointments, with the first being that I couldn't take photos inside. Oh how painful that was!

The other was that I was probably about a week or two premature to being able to see the property in full springtime bloom. Going through the Conservatory on the grounds helped alleviate that particular issue.

I could only begin to imagine owning such an estate; I just felt fortunate that the family has taken such good care of it and opened it up to the public. What a national treasure!

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more Biltmore Estate in Asheville photos on my Biltmore web page.


Hugs said...

So lovely.

K. Martinez said...

Maybe it's my system, but I can't seem to enlarge any of these images for closer viewing. Otherwise the estate looks incredible.

Davelandweb said...

K. - Fixed! Thanks for letting me know.

Major Pepperidge said...

It ain't much, but it's home.

Davelandweb said...

Major - You made me laugh today! The funny thing is, this place wasn't even their main residence! It was a vacation home. Unbelievable!

K. Martinez said...

Dave - No problem and thanks for fixing it. Wow!! What a beautiful estate. I'll definitely have to look around online to see some interior pics. Thanks for posting!