Friday, April 26, 2013
Disneyland Diary, 1968—1969
• Major improvements to the PeopleMover, in Tomorrowland,...
as well as at the Park's Main Entrance and in the Guest Parking Lot.
A record 23,000 celebrants turned out for the New Year's Eve Party.
Disneyland Ambassador to the World Sally Sherbin represented the Park in Miami Orange Bowl Parade. Later she toured the South Seas and New Zealand.
Special events included Valentine's Party, a first St. Patrick's Day Parade, "Spring Fling," Easter Parade, first Cinco De Mayo Fiesta and the Angels-Disneyland Fun Day Doubleheader.
Lionel Hampton, Harry James, Stan Kenton and Wayne King starred in the seventh Big Band Festival.
More than 300 high schools were represented in the all-night Grad Parties, 2,000 grads traveling by air.
Summer entertainment doubled with top stars in "On Stage U.S.A." plus the daily "Disneyland on Parade."
"Dixieland at Disneyland" starred Santo Pecora, Turk Murphy, Teddy Buckner, and the Dukes of Dixieland.
More than 80 new Disney characters and unique floats were added to "Fantasy on Parade," presented through the Christmas season.
Disneyland's Community Service Awards program honored 27 county organizations with cash awards totaling $30,000. The Outstanding Award was won by Orange County California Partners for Progress.
• Princess Margaretha of Sweden (February)
• Gov. Claude Kirk of Florida (February)
• Prince Abdul Wali of Afghanistan (March)
• Prime Minister Thanom Kittikachorn of Thailand (May)
• Sen. Robert Kennedy (June)
• Former Alabama Gov. George Wallace (August)
• Presidential candidate Richard M. Nixon (August)
• Gov. Robert Ray of Iowa (November)
• HAUNTED MANSION (complete with 999 ghosts from all parts of the world) — New Orleans Square
• DISNEYLAND-ALWEG MONORAIL SYSTEM (New monorail station was completed in Tomorrowland to accommodate four newly designed air-cushioned trains put in service for the summer season) — Tomorrowland
Fireworks and dance bands highlighted the New Year's Eve Party, another sellout.
Disneyland Ambassador to the World Shari Bescos toured western states, eight major eastern cities, seven South American countries and such Far East destinations as Japan, Thailand, the Philippines and Hong Kong.
Special parades and entertainment were presented for Valentine's Day, Lincoln's and Washington's Birthdays, Angels-Disneyland Fun Day Doubleheader, St. Patrick's Day, "Love Bug" Day, "Spring Fling," Easter and Viva Mexico Fiesta.
Memorial Day Weekend Big Band Festival featured Harry James, Count Basie, Don Ellis and Sammy Kaye. Star-name "On Stage U.S.A." shows formed the nucleus of summer entertainment.
More than 90,000 high school graduates and their dates attended seven all-nigh Grad Parties in June.
Al Hirt and ten top jazz bands starred in "Dixieland at Disneyland."
"Fantasy on Parade" highlighted a festive Holiday Season.
Disneyland's Community Service Awards program honored 24 county organizations with cash awards totaling $30,000. The Outstanding Award was won by the Dave Wilkerson Youth Rallies.
• Queen Muna of Jordan (May)
• Gov. Robert Scott of North Carolina (August)
• Gov. Robert McNair of South Carolina (August)
• Gov. William G. Milliken of Michigan (August)
• Secretary of State William Rogers (September)
• Russian Cosmonauts Gen. G.T. Beregovoy and Mr. K.P. Feoktistov and their families, accompanied by American Astronaut Eugene Cernan and his wife (October)
Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.