Thursday, April 25, 2013
Disneyland Diary, 1967
• PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN (exciting Audio-Animatronics adventure) — New Orleans Square
• NEW TOMORROWLAND opened. Seven new attractions included:
• CAROUSEL OF PROGRESS (since moved to Walt Disney World)
• ADVENTURE THRU INNER SPACE (since removed)
• FLIGHT TO THE MOON (now "Mission to Mars")
• TOMORROWLAND TERRACE Restaurant
• ROCKET JETS
• AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL (now American Journeys)
More than 18,000 greeted New Year's and thousands more attended the second annual Valentine Dance.
A capacity crowd celebrated "Spring Fling," nightly dancing to midnight during Easter Week and old-fashioned Easter Sunday Parade.
Marcia Miner, third Disneyland Ambassador to the World, toured the United States.
Angels baseball stars joined a capacity crowd for Angels-Disneyland Fun Day Doubleheader.
Memorial Day Weekend Big Band Nights starred Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Mel Torme, Larry Elgart and Art Mooney.
More than 75,000 youngsters from 250 high schools (Needles to San Francisco) attended all-night Grad Parties in June.
Star-studded summer shows included weekly Humdingers, Hootenannies, Vaudeville and Country Music Jubilee.
Jazz greats for Sept. 30 "Dixieland" included Eddie Condon, Teddy Buckner, "Doc" Souchon's All Stars and South Market St. Jazz Band.
Disneyland's Community Service Awards program, in its 10th year, honored 23 county organizations with cash awards totaling $28,000. The Outstanding Award was won by Children's Hospital of Orange County.
• President Cevdet Sunay of Turkey (April)
• Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia (April)
• Vice President Tin Pe of Burma (May)
• Gov. Nelson Rockefeller of New York (July)
• Prince Rainier III, Princess Caroline and Prince Albert of Monaco (August)
• Prince Monlay Ali and Princess Talla Zohra of Morocco (September)
• President Corneliu Manescu of the United Nations (October)
• Crown Prince Vong Savang of Laos (November)
Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.