Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Disneyland Diary, 1966
In 1966, Disneyland and the world mourned Walt Disney's passing on December 15. Roy O. Disney, President of Walt Disney Productions, pledged the continuation of Walt's plans for the Park's expansion, in keeping with the promise Walt made on Disneyland's Day One.
• IT'S A SMALL WORLD — Fantasyland
• PRIMEVAL WORLD — Seen from the Disneyland Railroad.
• NEW ORLEANS SQUARE (Disneyland's first all new "land" since its opening).
The New Year's Eve Party attracted 18,000.
Connie Swanson, 1966 Disneyland Ambassador to the World, toured the West coast and other areas of United States, plus Scandinavia, South America and Canada.
Valentine Dance, Youth Days and "Spring Fling" (with 23,000) set new attendance records.
Antique autos paraded for Easter along with ladies and gentlemen in turn-of-the-century fashions.
More than 60,000 high school seniors and their dates attended five all-night Grad Parties.
Xavier Cugat, Nelson Riddle and Harry James starred in summer-opening Big Band Night.
Top recording artists for weekly Hootenannies, Humdingers and Country Music sparked summer entertainment.
Louis Armstrong, Bob Crosby, Turk Murphy and "Doc" Souchon's New Orleans All-Stars played for the seventh "Dixieland at Disneyland."
Twice-daily "Fantasy on Parade" presentations highlighted the Christmas season.
Disneyland's community Service Awards program honored 23 county organizations with cash awards totaling $28,000. The Outstanding Award was won by the Orange County Society for Crippled Children and Adults Rehabilitation Center.
• House Speaker Anwar Sadat of United Arab Republic (February)
• Mayor Mahamane Haidara of Timbuktu (March)
• Prince Michael and Princess Marine of Greece (April)
• Admiral Toscana of Brazil (April)
• Prince Surachatra of Thailand (April)
• Prince and Princess Pahlavi of Iran (May)
• Prince George and Princess Anne of Denmark (May)
• Ten U.S. Governors (July)
• Prime Minister Forbes Burnham of Guyana (July)
• Sir Edmund Hillary (August)
• 275 Congressional Medal of Honor Winners (October)
Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.