Monday, April 22, 2013
Disneyland Diary, 1965
• GREAT MOMENTS WITH MR. LINCOLN (a personal experience with history, in a new theater in the Main Street Opera House) — Main Street, U.S.A.
• PLAZA INN (offering dining in the grand manner) — Main Street Plaza.
Disneyland celebrated its tenth anniversary with a year-long "tencennial celebration."
New Year's Eve brought 20,000 to begin the observance of 1965,
A new addition to Disneyland, "Fantasy on Parade" was introduced during the Christmas season.
Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Color" television show saluted Disneyland's first decade.
Disneyland's first Ambassador to the World, Julie Reihm, traveled to Europe, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and throughout the U.S.
Valentine's Dance, Catholic Schools Day, "Spring Fling" and special youth days attracted record attendance.
More than 50,000 celebrants from 138 high schools attended four all-night Grad Parties.
Les Brown, Si Zentner, Frank Sinatra, Jr., Stan Kenton, Wayne King, Harry James, Duke Ellington, Woody Herman, Tex Beneke, Hootenannies and Humdingers filled the summer with music.
Disneyland's Community Service Awards program honored 17 county organizations with cash awards totaling $15,000. The Outstanding Award was won by the Orange County Association for Retarded Children.
• Lord Louis Mountbatten of England (March)
• President Maurice Yameogo of Upper Volta (April)
• New Zealand Defense Minister Dean Eyre (April)
• Gov. Mark Hatfield of Oregon (June)
• Princesses Chandra and Suddhavong of Thailand (June)
• Prince and Princess Mikasa of Japan (September)
• Gov. Hayden Burns of Florida (November)
• Premier W.A.C. Bennett of British Columbia
Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.