Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Disneyland Diary, 1956
Today, we advance to 1956. Please keep in mind that this text was from before 1985, and that the information provided should be taken in the context of that time period.
New adventures for 1956 proved quickly that Walt Disney would keep his promise of Disneyland's continued growth. Added to the show were:
• TOM SAWYER ISLAND - Frontierland
• SKYWAY (aerial tramway between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland)
• TOM SAWYER ISLAND RAFTS - Frontierland
• ASTRO-JETS (now the "Rocket Jets") - Tomorrowland
• HORSELESS CARRIAGE - Main Street, U.S.A.
• INDIAN WAR CANOES (now the "Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes") = Frontierland
• JUNIOR AUTOPIA - Fantasyland
• OMNIBUS - Main Street, U.S.A.
• RAINBOW CAVERNS MINE TRAIN (since removed) - Frontierland
• STORYBOOK LAND CANAL BOATS (redesigned) - Fantasyland
• RAINBOW RIDGE PACK MULES (since removed) - Frontierland
• RAINBOW MOUNTAIN STAGE COACHES (since removed) - Frontierland
• INDIAN VILLAGE, featuring live shows (removed for construction of Bear Country) - Frontierland
Disneyland's five millionth guest walked through the entrance gates in October.
At year's end, Disneyland had welcomed guests from every state and from 60 foreign nations.
The holiday season featured scorees of youth music groups perofrming in "Christmas Bowl."
This year marked the debut of the Park's spectacular fireworks displays, which highlighted the summer season.
Park hosted its first old-fashioned Easter Parade April 1.
• President Sukarno of Indonesia (May)
• Earl Warren, Chief Justice of the U.S. (December)
Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.