Sunday, December 28, 2014

Welcome to Tomorrowland, April 1968



Hailed today as Tomorrowland at its best, this area of the park is seen at its peak in this April 1968 photo. One shot has it all, from guests exhibiting subversive behavior:



patriotism:



classic versions of thrilling attractions that are now not so thrilling:



vintage signage and sponsors that are no longer in the park:



a Mary Blair tile mural that today is waiting to be uncovered and restored:



and a classic case of style vs. no-style. I'll let you apply the labels to the proper person.



See more Daveland vintage & current Tomorrowland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

K. Martinez said...

No love for Eisner's Montana Future?

I thought Tomorrowland was perfection up until Eisner and Lucas came on board with Captain EO and Star Tours. From there it strayed from concept and was on a slow decline to what it is today.

In the first image it looks like the Goodyear PeopleMover wasn't operating that day. I wonder if they were installing the added track railings at that time.

Nice post today! Thanks, Dave.

Fifthrider said...

I'm glad you zoomed in on the sponsor signs, I was wondering what they said. Personally I found the old rocket ride much better way up top. I always liked the modern ideas of EO and Star Tours, but would concede that's as far as you could go without losing the grasp. Eisner's 1997 Jules Verneish... whatever that was,... was just confusing. Nothing had a more dynamic activity like the '67 redo of Tomorrowland. I doubt anything to come ever will.

MRaymond said...

The Tomorrowland of my dreams. I was 7 when this picture was taken and I still remember seeing TL for the first time. I couldn't help but look through the crowd for my family.

Daveland said...

I would say that Eisner's version of Tomorrowland is Steampunk…without any steam.