Thursday, September 04, 2008

Miscellaneous Stuff Pt. 2



For the 2nd year in a row, I ran in the Disneyland Half Marathon. Last year was a horrible experience with the blazing temperatures that caused me to wonder whether I’d finish or not. This year was a much happier run. I shaved 9 minutes off my time from last year and ran (not walked) the entire route. I also have to give kudos to Disney for one of the most organized and well-thought out races. The volunteers were wonderful and so was the entertainment along the way.



Back to regular biz, we have this color shot of two Matterhorn climbers, affording us a nice aerial shot of the Submarine Voyage, Autopia, and Motor Boat Cruise.



Square Dancing at Disneyland? Well, I guess anything is possible...looks like a showdown between the Country & Western dancers and the Tyrolean ones.



See more vintage & current Matterhorn photos at my regular website.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the run, Dave! I'm a runner myself but I limit myself to five miles. Anything beyond that, that's why God created cars with cupholders. And thanks for the Matterhorn shot, I have never seen that view before and it's amazing!

Major Pepperidge said...

Way to go, Dave! I would have died long before the end.

Wow, that photo of the Matterhorn climbers is awesome, check out that intense color!

I wonder if the dancers are there from the 1959 ceremonies?

Tea said...

Those are some great race pics. Have you ever done the Carlsbad Marathon/Half? I did it a number of years ago. It's a great race. The scenery was beautiful.

Daveland said...

Tea - Disneyland's is the only half marathon I have run, although I am debating doing another one before next year's; would have liked to do WDW's, but it sold out very quickly. Major - I believe the dancer photo is from the opening ceremony of 1959 as you stated.

Unknown said...

Look at those great Vintage Disneyland legs!!!

CoxPilot said...

Congrats on the race, Dave. Great shot from the top of the Matt. I think that road going away from us, on the right beside that triangle of orange trees, is Manchester Ave. Wow! Have things changed.

Thufer said...

congrats on doing something i would/could not do. Proud of you.

That has to be one of the more interesting pictures looking down off the Matterhorn onto Hwy.5. I know it has to be a parallax thing; but that is an odd view to me. Not the orange grove, just something looks strange, maybe the lack of Howard Johnsons? Not sure. The berm appears to be missing. Oh well.

Congrats on the race and thanks.

pixiegirltink said...

Great job, Dave! You look so good. I'm afraid my heart would be thumping out of my chest and I'd be spitting up blood. You rock!

:) Lannie

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW, Dave, super Job! I need CPR just thinking about running for that long! I'm glad the temps worked out good. Great shots, you look like an Olympian!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Congrats on the half marathon and decreasing your time. The Matterhorn photo was used as a cover for a Disneyland Vacationland magazine in 1963 (if I remember correctly.) A similar shot is seen in postcards of the time period.

The Square Dance shot is from Gala Day at Disneyland, the 1959 opening ceremonies that was filmed for TV and then released theatrically.