Wednesday, September 17, 2008

February 1962, Pt. 2



Today I begin with 2 from the oft missed Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant. By this point, the Skull Rock Cove area had been added to the scene. It doesn’t look like the photographer’s wife was particularly happy that he took shot #2; I am guessing he paid for this later on.



Over in Frontierland, the Wooden Indian is more than happy to pose for this one; wonder if the cigarette ash ever hit the kid?



Here are a few other shots of the same spot throughout the years for your viewing pleasure, starting off in 1959:



My dad and brothers in 1965:



And two from 2007:





See more vintage & current Frontierland photos at my regular website.

9 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Neat post, I like the look of these B & W Set. The Pirate ship looks like it’s in a storm! And Ms. looks downright pissed about having that photo taken. Fun shot of your dad and brothers, Dads looked so cool in the 60's, no backpacks and diaper bags back then! Thanks Dave!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very nice Dave. Especially the pic of your Dad & Bro's. Very cool.

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm glad the Indian is still there... there used to be another one on Main Street, but I saw one for sale at a collector's show. Is the Main Street Indian no longer there?

CoxPilot said...

Dave: Is the indian on Main Street gone? Always assumed there was still one there in front of the theater.

Daveland said...

Have no fear, the Main Street Wooden Indian is still there; Major...when was the last time you visited the park?

TokyoMagic! said...

Was there some type of "wave" effect on the bow of the pirate ship in the early years? I've seen at least one other photo like yours that showed what appeared to be water "bubbling" up at the bow. Or am I just wanting to see the boat in motion?

Daveland said...

Tokyomagic - I believe there was some kind of bubble jet, as a number of my pics show the water bubbling around the bow of the ship, too. Good eye! It appears from a quick glance at my photos that the effect was put in after the 1960 addition of Skull Rock.

CoxPilot said...

Dave: I can't remember which, but one of the Disney blogs had demolition photos of the Chic-o-the-Sea ship, and you can clearly see a series of water pipes and jets placed at the bow. The pump for the lagoon cleaning system forced the water through.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Coxpilot! I had that photo on my blog and I didn't even remember it until you said something. Actually, Jason at Disneyland Nomenclature let me use them from his collection.

Here is the original post:

(link)

Take care!