Friday, November 22, 2019

Jersey Girl, Pt. 2



Tours and history are always a part of the Daveland experience, and one of my favorite hidden San Diego gems is the Marston House. Located in the edge of Balboa Park, this 1905 home started out as your typical Tudor mansion in the design phase and was then transformed into the Arts and Crafts wonder that you see today. Thank you, Irving Gill!



You should ALWAYS stop and smell the roses...no matter how ridiculous you may look!



What a foyer! The gorgeous redwood throughout the house just takes your breath away.



George Marston made his money courtesy of his world-class downtown San Diego department store. Mementos are strewn throughout the house:



I don’t think this contraption would have put Dyson out of business.



This is my kind of dining room, right down to the Stickley furniture.



A table ready for the Fall Harvest!



Back in the day before blogs, this is what people wrote with. The feel of a computer keyboard just doesn’t capture the magic of a typewriter.



Can you say Tiffany? Sure…I knew you could.



Excuse me while I catch my breath again. Vintage tile. I had to deviate from the tour for a second to capture this bathroom tile.



MEAL TIME! Yes, at Daveland you will eat like a King (or Queen), as restaurants are a large part of any travel experience. I made sure Melissa was able to see all of the historic yet vibrant neighborhoods that make San Diego so special. University Heights is right at the top of the list for me, with two of my favorite restaurants.



Madison has yet to disappoint with a guest.



I don’t think Melissa was able to fully enjoy the meal (and drinks!) here, as she was pooped from her day of travel and Daveland touring.



Traveling down Park Boulevard a bit further you’ll find Pop Pie, a more recent Daveland discovery.



No way Melissa was going to give a thumbs up to the kale slaw there, but like the adventurer that she is, she gave it the ol’ college try! The rest of the meal was a score!



I always like to throw in a bit of the weird, so after dinner I took Melissa to Pioneer Park, which was once a cemetery. In the 1970’s, the headstones were removed (except for a few that ended up re-cemented at the back of the graveyard)...but the bodies stayed!



Can’t you hear Craig T. Nelson now? “You son of a bitch. You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you? You son of a bitch, you left the bodies and you only moved the head stones. You only moved the head stones. Why? Why?” Because you wouldn’t have had a hit movie otherwise, Craig.



Apparently the first Elizabeth Taylor is buried here. She wasn’t a huge hit, so the world needed a second one.



Melissa did her best to recreate Shirley Temple’s scary graveyard scene from “The Blue Bird.”



I was too lazy to get someone to play her brother. Hey, we had a show to catch!



The Imperial House is a San Diego institution. Not for the insane, but for those who like vintage dark bars with lounge singers.



My friend Ria performs here every Friday.



It takes a special talent to pull off a mashup of “You’re the one that I want,” “Jolene,” and “Rawhide.” Only Ria! Here’s a brief clip:



Still more to come!

See more Daveland photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Fifthrider said...

Looks like a great time, quite the adventure. It's all impressive but I can only dwell on that tile. I've been doing my own tile work lately because I can't count on vendors to do it right, so I can appreciate the precision of the spacing between those. So perfect. Craftsman level of workmanship.