Friday, January 16, 2015

Monorail Madness



Today is as good a day as any to celebrate the Monorail. This August 1960 shot shows my very favorite cool-blue Monorail gliding into the Tomorrowland Station.

A two year jump yields this 1962 shot of the red Monorail; looks like a pretty quiet day at the Park!



The last one for today was most likely taken from a Skyway bucket, giving us a nice aerial shot of Fantasyland.



Cropping in a little tighter gives us a better view of the red Monorail as well as the Motor Boat Cruise attraction:



Craving more Monorail shots? Ride on over to my main website and see more photos of the Monorail at Disneyland.

6 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I love the changing elevation of the monorail track as easily seen in the last image. My favorite monorail is the Mark III Gold, but I do like the Mark II Red as seen in the second image. Whatever color or version, nothin' beats the bubble-tops. Thanks, Dave.

Unknown said...

I think I've said it before but I adore Monorail Green. I don't think I have to name the Mark No. here. But that being said, I have a way on the furthest back burner project of a Mk II Yellow in maybe 1/32 scale. That'd put the length at around 42". And to be precise it would have the windows in the doors for both the front and rear bubbles. It's a back burner project so I can be picky...

By the way, is the right term Monorail Gold or Monorail Yellow? I know I've heard both.

K. Martinez said...

I've always referred to it as Gold because Disney did and does.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/11/the-history-of-the-disneyland-monorail-mark-ii-1961-1969/

K. Martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K. Martinez said...

Patrick - Here's another article from the Disney Parks Blog that states the traditional monorail colors as red, blue and gold with a fourth color - green added to the fleet of Mark IIIs.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/the-history-of-the-disneyland-monorail-mark-iii-1969-1987/

So yeah, I've read Monorail Yellow, but I've always known it as Gold from way back.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Gold is what I would have gone with if I'd had to make a guess. Thanks for the info, it's terrific.

And what an incredible picture in the first example! Where the heck was THAT taken from? Was somebody perched on the Fantasyland Autopia awning?