Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Upjohn Pharmacy & The Rest of Barry’s Story





On the West Side of Main Street U.S.A., guests were able to visit the Upjohn Pharmacy from opening day until September 1970. Naturally, the inside was decked out like an old-fashioned pharamcy should be. These 2 interior shots are from March 24, 1956:





This interior shot from CoxPilot has been posted here before, but thought I’d post it again to go along with the 2 new interior window shots:



Here’s the follow up on yesterday’s post and the requests to hear “the rest of the story” about Barry & Stephanie. Barry emailed me last night with this and also left a comment for yesterday’s entry, and I’ll warn you, it is somewhat sad. I’ve included it here for those that don’t check the comments section: “Wow, I just saw this and I am impressed with what Dave has done with this! The rest of the story isn’t what I was hoping for. We wrote for a time but then I bet that having a boy friend in the army in the turbulent sixties wasn’t all that attractive and we just stopped writing. She of course never left my thoughts. When I got out in a couple years I looked for her and couldn’t find her (no internet then!). I married, had children, and then the marriage ended in 1983. So then I began a search for Stephanie again. It was years and years of letter writing and then in 2005 I managed to locate her two sisters living in their original hometown of Danville, CA. It was pure luck that they were found but then one of them wrote to me to let me know that Stef had been killed in a hiking accident in the Trinity Alps of Northern California. She had slipped and fallen a great distance. She was hiking with friends so she had help as fast as it was possible but she had died at the scene. She will always be part of me. Thank you all for asking.” I sure wish I had a different ending for this one, and was very sad myself when I read it this morning. Again, many thanks to Barry for sharing his special evening with us. He has also promised to send more photos to post here from his other trips to Disneyland. DVD/Blu-ray update: “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian” is coming out next week on December 2nd. This installment is a little darker than its predecessor, which is probably why I like it better!



See more vintage & current Disneyland photos at my regular website.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great and historic pictures! Congratulations!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great interior shots, rare as can be! I love those glass jars filled with mystery liquid. Well, Barry's story does have a bit of a sad ending, but thank you Barry for sharing.

Major Pepperidge said...

So much for a "Hollywood ending"... so sad. It's amazing the way even a brief friendship can have such an impact on one's life.

That shot of the Fire Wagon is a beauty...

gabrielle. said...

sad! i'm sorry, barry! but at least you have good memories of her! thanks for sharing and dave, thanks for posting!
have a good holiday!

Anonymous said...

Barry, I wept as I read your story. I hope that the years since have been good ones for you and that someday you will live through another experience that will be as memorable as Grad Nite 65. I also want to say thank you for your service to our country.

Anonymous said...

Thank you all. What a wonderful and caring group you are.