Sunday, October 14, 2012

Motor Boat Cruise Mania!



What could be more fitting on a leisurely Sunday than a leisurely spin on a Disneyland Motor Boat? The first image from this attraction gone-bye-bye is from June 1963. You can also get a glimpse of the Autopia and Submarine attractions as well as the Monorail exit speed ramp from this particular shot.

The rest of today's images are from July 1974. These show what I assume to be a boy and his father, enjoying their trip on The Shaggy Dog:







Here is how the dock looks today:



See more vintage Disneyland Motor Boat Cruise photos on my Motor Boat Cruise web page.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

One of those fond attractions which would benefit from an update/reboot. As a kid, this was an exciting adventure that could only happen at Disneyland. As an adult, it was a most relaxing journey back to my younger days.

K. Martinez said...

I felt sad when the Motor Boat Cruise closed for good. It was unique to Disneyland and provided a simple pleasure. Something Disneyland seems to have less of these days.

I used to love watching the boats traverse the turn-around next to the Lagoon while the Submarines cruised by and the Autopia cars roared overhead on the bridge “dividing” the two bodies of water.

I remember one of the Motor Boats I was riding in was named "Darby O'Gill". I loved how they named the boats after Disney characters in BOTH animation and live-action films. To me eliminating the Motor Boat Cruise was one more way to make the parks less unique.

Rich T. said...

While Motorboat Cruise wasn't one of the park's most exciting rides, (not even when it went through Gummi Glen), it certainly added visual charm to the whole area. I miss it more than I thought I would, especially since nothing's really been done with the area since.

Major Pepperidge said...

Great photos; This is another frustrating example of a ride being closed with nothing intended to replace it. And we can't even blame Paul Pressler this time!