Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Disneyland Trip Report: The Perfect Day, Pt. 3



The gang was pretty excited about going to Club 33; they’d all heard of it, but only two of us had ever actually eaten there. Needless to say, it didn’t disappoint. The service was impeccable (our water glasses were never empty), the food was superb, and the ambiance out of this world (how about having Fantasmic as your background music—twice? Wow!).



A shot of the trophy room, ready for the next day’s seating.



This guy is like the Sword of Damocles, looming overhead ominously!



After the meal, we were so full of excitement that we kind of felt like this guy here! Because we wanted to be able to return, we refrained from standing on our heads.



The obligatory photo outside the entrance.



We actually shut the park down; by the time we left dinner, it was close to eleven, so we all had to exit. Sigh...no late-night ride on Big Thunder Mountain!

Instead, I woke up early to enter the park and get some photos before the crowds descended like locusts. About every year or two, I climb the Treehouse for some of the best views of the park.



A blast of air from this guy’s mouth can scare the bejesus out of you on a Saturday morning!



The Mansion from high above:



So peaceful...before the line of strollers appears to divide Adventureland in half.





Even back on the ground, the Treehouse provides some lush photographic opportunities:



I was able to get a few shots of the path from Fantasyland to Frontierland; this area once figured largely in the Nature’s Wonderland attraction.







I love Storybook; so many tiny details to marvel over. However, due to long lines, I rarely ride it. Thanks to my early morning arrival, I was able to enjoy a trip in one of the canal boats. The harsh early morning lighting made for some unflattering shadows, but I still had a great time.





Even for a structure that would never be seen up close, the designers put in a ton of detail!



Lighting...as they say, it sure is everything! Disney Imagineers know how to use it to best effect.





Over at The Mansion, I was able to get this shot of the loading area looking backwards:



Another one of my fave “secret” areas, unencumbered by the trappings of a gift shop or the holidays; just a lone string of Mardi Gras beads:



For the final shots, a comparison of then and now shots of the menu marquee outside of the Blue Bayou restaurant:



From August 1976:



Hope you enjoyed my recount of our perfect day at DL; I know we all had a blast!

See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

8 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Awesome Trip report - One Question: Where do I apply to work for you?

Thufer said...

Very good look at some calmness that is so rewarding. Very nice.

Major Pepperidge said...

Those early morning photos of the empty park are so nice.

Connie Moreno said...

I'm so jealous! Those early morning EMPTY PARK photos are incredible!!! Love the menu comparison. Those 1976 prices blew my mind!

Katella Gate said...

What a beautiful photoset. Thanks Dave for sharing. It's been a while since I ate in the Blue Bayou, so the menu boards were particularly interesting.

TokyoMagic! said...

I really enjoyed this series, Dave! The early morning pics were taken on a Saturday, right? I can't believe there weren't more people there....even in the early morning. Great "people-less" pics!

Katella Gate said...

By the way, that Monte Cristo sandwich that cost $3 in 1976 now runs about $25 today.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing it with us!