Tuesday, June 08, 2010

CalColor 1957 at Disneyland, Pt. 5



Follow me as we take a semi-ho-hum trip around the Rivers of America aboard the Mark Twain. Although I don’t ride it as often as the Disneyland Railroad, I sure do love taking a nice relaxing journey around Tom Sawyer Island!



The Columbia is still on the drawing board at this stage, which is why nothing is parked at Fowler’s Harbor just yet:



The Indian Village has moved from its location near the Jungle Cruise over to this area which is now Critter Country:



Enjoy the flames and token dead guy while you can; 50+ years later they are only a dream:



Ah, the realistic animals along the river banks:



Almost hard to tell the difference between the “live” Indian Village and the fake one, huh?



I can't pinpoint the location of this shot, and not even sure if it’s Disneyland, but it was part of the same batch so I'm going to include it for some Disney geek out there to identify it:



Meanwhile, I took my 2nd trip to Knott’s Berry Farm Amusement park last weekend; most people who know me know that it was only an excuse to eat the Fried Chicken & Boysenberry pie that the nearby restaurant offers! Also true to form, I snapped a few pics.



It was good to see the Ghost Town figures back in place, ready for guests to pose with. I think this particular one must know Forrest Gump.





Thanks to fellow bloggers Tim & Chris, I was able to catch this rare shot of the Giant Chicken eating Independence Hall:



Tried a few new rides this time; Sidewinder was definitely my fave, although the Pony Express was a lot of fun, too.







Lunch at the Ghost Town Grill was tasty; really enjoyed the BBQ Beef Sandwich with Cole Slaw! I also liked the vintage looking interior with murals that appear to be as old as Ghost Town itself:





Caught a little of the show at the Saloon; maybe not quite as grand as the Golden Horseshoe, but still a lot of fun.



The highlight of the day was probably the Wagon Camp Stunt Show; we actually scored a seat inside the Wagon!











I think that’s plenty of pics to torture you folks with today! See more Disneyland Rivers of America photos at my regular my main website.

10 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Looks like you had a fun day. 23 pictures in one post, I don't even try to keep up with you!

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, these brought back some great memories!!! I have to admit, for the past 10 years, the only reason I go to Knott's is to eat the chicken dinner - I don't even go into the park. But after looking at these, now I want to spend a day there. I miss that train, too.

Ok, in one of the first photos I was amazed to see grass next to the harbor. Wow a gorgeous lawn!

Now I know WHY that giant chicken has always creeped me out!

As for that mystery shot...man, I have no idea.

Chris Merritt said...

That Mystery shot is from Nature's Wonderland Dave!

Chris Merritt said...

...Or to be more specific - the "Mine Train Thru Rainbow Caverns" version... NW didn't open until 1960, obviously...

Daveland said...

Thanks Chris! Hope the book sales are going well.

Brittney said...

Umm I hate to say it, but the picture with the lady with the chocolate boxes . . . it does NOT look like you're taking a chocolate . . it looks like quite a scandalous photo! HAHAHAH

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice post Dave! Neato Mystery shot - thanks Chris M. for the answer!

Knott's was awesome huh Dave? So awesome you didn't wait 30 years to go back this time! Thanks for "suggesting" the fried chicken, was I nuts thinking of ordering something else? That was an amazing dinner!

Does your camera have a "Kodachrome" mode, I was at the stunt show with you and it looks better in your pics than it did in person! That was a fun show, and the Wagon (shaded) seating was excellent.

That was tragic seeing the giant chicken eating Independence Hall, I hope they can fix that!

walterworld said...

Glad to see that Whiskey Bill & Handsome Brady are still posing for photos in Ghost Town!

Great post as usual...Thanks

Chiana_Chat said...

Dave, it used to be, among some circles at least, that Knotts had the reputation as "the place to eat" if you went to Disneyland. You'd breakfast & dinner at Knotts and maybe lunch at Blue Bayou or Plaza. Not that DL's food was bad, but the quality seems to have really picked up in more recent eras (with prices to match) so that's no longer the case - though now you know how Knotts can certainly contend for your dinning dollar.

I've heard good things about the Ghost Town Grill - sounds like you'd agree then. I don't know if you've tried it or if it's still there or anywhere as good, but there was/is a Steakhouse behind the Chicken Dinner Restaurant, in the free area. I've had some meals there yeeearz ago, pardner, and it was real good if that's your taste in cuisine. There also used to be a shop in the free area selling Knott's foods like Buttermilk Biscuit mix, the Boysenberry punch (mmm! boy if it were only available online!) and their (used to be at least) tasty French salad dressing. All that besides the Chicken Dinner Restaurant?! Mercy.

Fun roll o' pics Dave, DL & Knotts! :D

TokyoMagic! said...

Hey Dave,

Just caught this post today since I was at DL yesterday. Wonderful Knott's pics! It was great seeing you again...and meeting your friends too!

I agree with Brittney about that one pic...it looks like you might be trying to pull an Arnold Schwarzenegger! Or should I say "pinch?"