Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Disneyland in Focus: Carousel of Progress, Pt. 5



Brrrrr! It’s a wintry day in present day America (or as present as you could get back in the 1960’s when this show was created!), and shot #1 gives us a glimpse of the New York World’s Fair version of this scene. As you would expect from Disney, this present-day home is fully loaded with ALL the amenities. Here are 2 shots of the Disneyland version of the first scene:





This blurry slide taken by a guest in October 1968 still gives a nice overview of the room, all decorated for Christmas:



Mother certainly looks like she has received more than a nod from Jacqueline Kennedy for her styling:





The detailing of the cat is stunning:



And the final shot from the show (sigh) showing the miracle of the modern kitchen:



Don’t worry...there are a few more related shots tomorrow for those fanatics who want more; and unfortunately, this is it for what I have of the actual Disneyland show itself, despite yesterday’s requests. My generous anonymous source also donated a number of images from the Florida version; any interest in seeing those? See more vintage Carousel of Progress photos at my regular website.

5 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I want to live THERE.....in that scene....and in that city! Yes, I'm a fanatic when it comes to this beloved DL attraction!!!!! May we please see the Florida shots too???
This scene was the most changed out of all of them when it was moved to Florida. And while I understand the need to update the "present" scene, there was a major continuity flaw that was created when it was moved. They have added more than just Mother and Father to this last scene in Florida, which is okay...but the problem I have with the continuity is...why is it that the teenage daughter is there....and she's still a teenager, but the little boy and little girl are both missing and now all of a sudden there is a teenage boy in that scene? What happened to the little girl who disappeared from the third scene at DL? Why is the boy now a grown up teenager? The imagineers explained in "E" Ticket Magazine that the family is NOT supposed to be aging through the different time periods (from the 1890's to the 1960's...and now the 1990's, which was the date of the last redo). Did they not want to spend the money on two new child sized A.A.s and they just grabbed an adult one that was lying around to use as the son? Am I the only one that is bothered by this lack of continuity? Hey, I already admitted that I was a fanatic when it comes to this attraction! Thank you for all the incredible pics, Dave! Hope to see any additional pics you have...even if they are from the Florida version!

Major Pepperidge said...

I have to admit that this might be my favorite scene from COP, I love the groovy EPCOT future.

"Mother" looks like Nancy Reagan to me!

outsidetheberm said...

"Mother" also has a cheap husband -she wears no engagement ring on her lovely hand!

Great pics, Dave.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

These are friggin amazing! How are these so clear? There were these weird “screens” covering each of the side scenes when I saw it in Florida, I couldn’t get a photo at all. YES to seeing the Florida version, Thanks Dave!

Dan said...

So, that was our Christmas tree! The tree was put out by GE and came with all the trimmings in one kit -- 7' tree, rotating musical stand, lights, and 60 Bavarian ornaments, many of which I still have. I remember seeing the Carousel of Progress display at Disneyland in 1971, but never knew that was our tree on the stage! I would love to post a photo, but don't see a way to do that in the comments section.