Monday, December 04, 2006

Signage Closeups, 1950s



Upon first inspection, this slide from Frontierland in the 1950’s (probably taken in July, judging by the bunting on the Mark Twain dock) may not garner much excitement; but when I zoomed in on the rustic sign to the left, I thought it was pretty cool how the theme of Frontierland was carried out down to the primitive looking signage. Today, Frontierland is just a tad too slick. Anyone able to narrow down the year on this one?



Slide #3 is from 1955, and shows a sign that I believe the Major asked me for a closeup of early on in my blogging career; this particular slide gives a much clearer shot of what the sign says. I have included the closeup of the sign, but not the Jayne Mansfield wannabe in the painted-on yellow pants.





See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Me want Jayne Mansfield wannabe!! Meanwhile, I think I have a slide from the 60's with a newer version of the rustic sign in your photo. I'll have to see if I can dig it up!

Matterhorn1959 said...

The Frontierland photograph is 1955 to 1958 as the sign lists the Frontierland train ride as the freight train. In 1958, the train sets (the cars) were renamed and the Frontierland was no longer called the freight train but rather the Holiday train. What is more interesting is the sign on the Pendleton store lists Levi's, Hanley's Leather goods (a good maker of saddle and tack) and Justin boots being sold. I had always read and thought they just sold Pendleton items in the store, but it now appears to have sold all types of Western wear.

Chris Merritt said...

I agree with Patrick - I think that first shot is '55 or '56-ish. They would have listed Rainbow Caverns Mine Train if it was open. DIdn't Conestoga Wogons only run in 55 & 56?