Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Submarine Voyage Rarities



Today I present 4 amazing images from April 1959 showing the construction of the Submarine Voyage attraction at Disneyland. I have no idea who the photographer was or how they got access to these areas; just enjoy!



I am still stunned to be seeing the art and statuary in its pristine state before the lagoon was filled with water.





A few months later in August, the attraction was in full force, being enjoyed by guests from all over the world.







I've said it before, and I'll repeat myself again today: early Tomorrowland had an amazing energy, with the Skyway, Matterhorn, Monorail, Submarines, and Autopia all visible in one area.



Just have to get a closer look at the Skyway bucket in this one.



More Disneyland Submarine Voyage attraction photos at my main website.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Wow!!! These images are amazing. How do you come across these? I'm just blown away. It's images like this that make me fall in love with Walt Disney's Disneyland all over gain. Thanks so much for sharing these with us with us, Dave.

Anonymous said...

These are terrific pictures, I've never seen anything like these interior shots. Pictures inside the show building are scarce as hens teeth.

The submarine ride seems to me to be the most unlikely and crazy attraction ever. Just think of the things that could go wrong, the difficulty of maintenance, all kinds of potential issues to solve, and they went ahead with it anyway and it was successful. AFAIK, there's nothing like anywhere else except at Disney parks, and maybe not even there anymore since WDW version was closed. I confess I know little of the parks abroad, but this is just amazing. Thank you, Dave.

JG

Anonymous said...

An amazing find!! There was such a vibrancy to T-land through its initial two versions that is missing today...or is it just me? KS

HBG2 said...

Really neat.

Unknown said...

Very nice stuff today, Dave. Thanks as always and Merry New Year! It's great to see the often hard-to0get0to parts of attractions while under construction. Well done...