Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mystery Road, 1957/58



This batch is from 1957/58; the same batch that showed the bored passengers on the mine train. The first shot is probably a "duh," but to me it’s a mystery; what the heck road are they walking on? With the placement of the castle, I can’t figure it out. The second shot is from the same gang at the entrance gate/fence. LOVE the sunglasses; this girl is destined to be hip.



The third shot was pretty dark, so with a little Photoshop help I was able to rescue it somewhat; a little music on Main Street near the Puffin Bakery. Sounds good right now...wonder what’s fresh this morning?



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, what an usual photo! I am a bit stumped as well...if I had to guess, I would say that "Snow Hill" is to the right (see the people going up the trail?), which means that Tomorrowland is behind us and to our left. But with all those trees it feels more like Frontierland.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major you are correct, the hill to the left is Snow Mountain and the road leads from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. If you look at the castle, the large tower is on the right hand side closest to Tomorrowland. At the top of the hill would be the pylon for the skyway. A very unusual view. The other two shots are nice as well, I like the Band image in front of Puffin bakery.

Daveland said...

Thanks Matterhorn! Yes, I agree - definitely an unusual view.

William Kelley said...

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I agree with you all, except that matterhorn says Snow Hill is to the left, I think you mean to the right. And the Monsanto building would be just down that road, right? That road they are on then is the current walkway between the north Tomorrowland building and the Matterhorn.

I love how there is a slight uphill rise, coming from the front of the Castle and towards us.

FoxxFur said...

I agree that's Snow Hill to the right there. I think this road initially led back to the Mickey Mouse Club Circus & Fantasyland train Station (the omnibus would go back there). That said, this has more mature foliage than I've ever seen in pictures of this area of Disneyland, which is what I think is throwing people off. This must be pretty late in 1958 to have that kind of growth.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I meant right, my other right. Sorry for the confusion.