Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Temple Tuesday: A TALKING Picture!



Fans of the classic 1952 MGM musical “Singin’ in the Rain” will remember the cameo by actor Julius Tannen. He is the rather toothy man who startles the 1920s partygoers as the speaker in a promotional talking picture. In his slow and perfectly annunciated dialogue he states: “Note how my lips and the sound issuing from them are synchronized together in perfect u-ni-son!…My voice has been recorded on a record. A TALKING picture! Thank you! Goodbye!”

Tannen is the same actor who portrayed Emory T. Hawkins sixteen years earlier in Shirley’s film, “Dimples.” He played one of the creditors who was swindled by Shirley’s grandfather (Frank Morgan).



“If you don’t pay me now, I’ll have you in jail by tonight,” the actor roared.



Where does Morgan get the money to pay his debt? By selling his granddaughter to a lonely but very rich woman (Helen Westley). “Dimples” has a happy ending, but plenty of icky moments throughout; it is not one of my favorite Shirley films.



See more Shirley Temple photos at my main website.

No comments: