Monday, March 09, 2015

13 Tikis



The word "Tiki" is bandied about loosely, and I would hazard a guess that most people (including myself) have no idea what it really means. So here's what I found: according to Māori mythology, Tiki is the first man. He found the first woman, Marikoriko, in a pond; she seduced him and he became the father of a daughter, Hine-kau-ataata. The first clouds appeared at the time she was born. To celebrate my newfound understanding of "Tiki," I am featuring 13 images from my collection of Tiki/Tribal statues/carvings at Disneyland. Feast your eyes on these amazing photos!









Walt looks perplexed:















One semi-current image to show that I am not stuck in the past!



See more Daveland Disneyland Adventureland photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Sweetie Suz said...

Oh wow!!!! What fantastic collection of Enchanted Tiki Room photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

K. Martinez said...

Nice background info there. Being that my grandparents were from Hawaii, both born there in the 1910's, I was always more familiar with the Menuhune legends than the tiki. Thanks for sharing it.

Too bad they didn't keep the older taller tiki statues that appear from time to time in the vintage Disneyland photos. They're great. The fifth image almost looks Yukon-ish!

Nice set today. Thanks, Dave.