Thursday, March 10, 2011

Traveling Thursdays: The REAL New Orleans



One of my favorite cities to visit is New Orleans. I love the food, the architecture, and the rich history...and yes, even the seediness. It is still so very Tennessee Williams; like Blanche come to life. I have not been since the Katrina disaster, but hope to rectify that in the near future.

Here are a few vintage images:





Oh those yummy beignets!







Fats Domino “Live” in The Big Easy:



Fast forward to 2002: a trip to N.O. would not be complete without visiting its cemeteries.





Jazzfest? What a joke. The real music happens in the French Quarter on the streets and in the clubs.



My fave restaurant in town is Antoine’s; fab service and delicious artery-clogging dining.



Be sure to ask for Chuck (if he’s still there!). He’s a damn good waiter and will take very good care of you.











Across the water is Mardi Gras World, where many of the Parade floats are stored.



Jessica Rabbit looking...well, very busty!







The Fab Four together again:



See more New Orleans photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

That "Italia" statue looks just like one that topped the Italian pavilion at the 1939 New York World's Fair. It must be based on a famous sculpture...

Daveland said...

David - The Italia statue is most famous because it was seen in the movie "Easy Rider" with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper.

Connie Moreno said...

I HAVE to go there someday!!!

"delicious artery-clogging dining."
Ya, baby!!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

Only my FAVORITE place in the entire world! There's just nothing like it in this country. I adore it even in decay. There's something in the air there. I think it's magical...then again, I haven't experienced the joy of visiting in the dead of summer. Might not love it so much then. That's why I only go in winter.

Daveland said...

I went once in June. Never again. You are smart to stick to the winter! And I agree - something about the decay that really is very cool.