Friday, May 07, 2010

Freaky Fridays @ The Haunted Mansion: NBC—The Elevator



I really liked the NBC overlay the first time I saw it, but when comparing it to the regular Mansion, I'll take the regular version any day. Although extremely innovative, it does not hold up very well to repeated viewings. At that point, it begins to unravel and shows itself for what it is: lots of flourescent paint and decor draped over an existing attraction.







A little black-light “magic” when the elevator begins to descend:







Instead of a dead man hanging from the rafters, it’s just Jack!



See more Disneyland Haunted Mansio photos at my website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

There are a lot of things I like about the "Nightmare" overlay, but it isn't as good as the original show!

William Bezek said...

I think they should just do a darkride of Nightmare in Fantasyland and leave the mansion alone...the cotton batting all over the graveyard is so lame.

Connie Moreno said...

I happen to be one of those that LOVES the NBC overlay! Not more than the original show but I DO look forward to it every year.

stu29573 said...

I agree a Nightmare dark ride would be really really cool, but they did a pretty good job with the overlay.

TokyoMagic! said...

I have to agree, for something that is only a temporary overlay, I think they do a pretty good job, however the original Mansion is the best!

I just read something on Wikipedia while researching Country Bear Jamboree info. It stated that for a couple years the Oogie Boogie figure in the Mansion was one of the Big Al audio-animatronics from CBJ, but then they eventually developed an all new Oogie figure. Does anyone know if that is true? CBJ closed in 2001. What year was Oogie added to the overlay?

Chiana_Chat said...

I'm with William:

"I think they should just do a darkride of Nightmare in Fantasyland and leave the mansion alone."

I'm not fond of their re-purposing, the thrift does show. There was a lot of work put into this one and it is only temporary, but still... when I spend all that dough go to Disneyland I'd want to see The Haunted Mansion, not a nifty but 2nd rate version.