Monday, May 10, 2010

Black & White September 1963, Pt. 1



Welcome to Town Square! This short series will be showing images from a batch of Black & White negatives from September 1963. The strollers back then look so primitive (and less threatening)!

Moving up Main Street, we see the back end of the Horse-Drawn Streetcar; seeing that Sunkist sign sure makes me thirsty!



Over near Central Plaza there are some artists sketching various guests:



Let’s zoom in for a closer look at that ca-razy 60’s beehive hairdo! That lady has done her share of damage to the ozone layer.



Tomorrow, we’ll visit 1963 Frontierland. See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Thufer said...

Nowhere does B&W work like Main Street USA. These are wonderful examples of just how important the the suspension of disbelief is when you walk under those tracks.
I could spend hours inside each of these pictures. They were a most pleasant addition to my cup of coffee this morning.

Connie Moreno said...

I agree with Thufer! Those were amazing! I kepts scouring the guests looking for my sister...she could have been there with her own ozone depleting beehive!!

Major Pepperidge said...

Interesting about the artists working at the plaza rather than East Central Street (or wherever). Can you imagine how long it took that woman to perfect her bouffant every morning?

Katella Gate said...

Major: Maybe she's wearing a wig. I know my Mom wore all kinds of hair pieces depending on her "mood" in the late 60's (Sorry Mom, the cat's out of the bag)

Fortunately, she never got deep into the woven wig look like Janice Rand did:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/faaabulous/randmccoymiri.jpg

Chiana_Chat said...

I especially like the 2nd and 3rd pic, the plaza looks so idyllic, looks like such a great spot to relax. Interesting (to a nerd like me) that the window on the left is opened. Wouldn't it be nice to live behind those windows? :)