Thursday, June 18, 2015

Nawlins Eats: Commander's Palace



On all of my previous visits to New Orleans, I had been unable to get a reservation at the Commander's Palace Restaurant located in the famed Garden District. This time, I was determined to dine there!



This time, SUCCESS! Sure, I had to take a late dinner time (I believe my reservation was for 9pm) but I didn't care!



The decor of the restaurant was unlike any other I had been to. Immediately, I could tell that this was going to be a unique and elegant experience.



My gut feeling is that the "new" Club 33 was attempting to emulate the look of Commander's Palace which is bright, clean, upscale, but not stuffy.



Commander's Palace succeeds; Club 33 doesn't. I received impeccable service from the entire staff that was just right without being intrusive.



First up was the Amuse Bouche.



For my appetizer, the Gumbo du Jour was a great choice:



For the main course, Filet of Black Angus Beef that melted in my mouth.



Lally's Praline Parfait was the perfect ending to this amazing culinary experience; my only gripe was that it could have used more caramel sauce. Not that I really needed it, though!



Still hungry? Waddle on over to my main website and see more New Orleans restaurant shots.

6 comments:

Mark said...

One of our favorite dining experiences in the Big Easy!

K. Martinez said...

Now you're cookin' with gas! These are the kind of blog posts I think you do best. Restaurants outside the Disney realm. The place and the food look fantastic. Thanks, Dave.

Matthew said...

The restaurant was established the same year as the University of Southern California. Connected... I think not. I like the palm motif on the plates. Interesting thought about the new Club 33 and what they were possibly going for in way of ambiance.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Fifthrider said...

From the first pic I knew where you were going with this. Yes, everything that Club 33 should have been and in a way once was. THIS is what to do, not the "what not to do" that they did. Again, Disney management of today thinks the proper thing to do isn't the right thing but an emulation of the right thing.

Debbie V. said...

Nice place :)
You went to New Orleans to visit a restaurant that you heard Club 33 was modeled after?
Interesting.
I lived in Pensacola for 5 years but never ate in New Orleans. But money was a lot tighter then.
I'm not a big fan of the weather down there though.

Daveland said...

Debbie - I went to New Orleans for a conference and to take a ton of photos. Club 33 had nothing to do with it. But…after my visit to Club 33 a few weeks ago, I connected the dots.