Thursday, December 14, 2017

More Ice Cream for Nixon



Some of the mysteries were solved when I acquired this second batch of negatives of Vice President Richard Nixon and family at Disneyland from June 14, 1959 sharing an ice cream sundae at the Carnation Ice Cream Parlour on Main Street, U.S.A. This envelope gave the name of the waitress (Louise) and the two gentlemen in the back. At left is restaurant General Manager Mr. Knowles and standing next to him is Charles Cowling. I do not know any other information about these two (or charming Louise for that matter).



A closeup of the carnation on the menu cover:



I wonder what's in that toast from Mr. Knowles?



On the negative for this shot, the kids had an "X" through them; I guess the intention was to crop them out when the photo was published. I rectified the situation with a simple swipe of the cloth. Nixon's mother, Hannah, didn't make the frame. You can barely see the edge of her face at left.



See more Nixon at Disneyland photos at my main website.

2 comments:

beachgal said...

The only think I ever had that came in those Carnation cups were shakes.

Jason Schultz said...

Very nice! Louise is likely Louise Mentzinger. The July 1960 Disneylander notes that she worked for Carnation Co. and was a 5 Year Disneylander. Unfortunately, that's all I've got on her!