Saturday, November 21, 2009

Scholarly Saturdays: Encyclopaedia Britannica & Main Street Pt. 6



Today is the end of filmstrip #1, Main Street U.S.A. This particular segment focuses on the Disneyland Railroad. It is a rare occasion that I go to the park without riding one of the trains! It just wouldn’t be right! The C.K. Holliday is pulling into the station in photo #2:



Grumpy Susie is wearing her sour-puss face again; I’ll be she ended up being a pencil-pusher for the Government somewhere.



Here’s the C.K. again, chugging along its route, which at this time still looks fairly undeveloped in comparison to today’s journey. This was also back in the day when guests were closed into the Cattle Cars and were able to actually feel like....well, Cattle!



Susie & Bobby are about to get on one of the RETLAW one passenger cars:



This time around we get to see the E.P. Ripley pulling the passenger cars, sans Cattle!



And finally, the credits. Please talk amongst yourselves!





OK readers...here’s your chance to be heard. Let me know in the comment section which filmstrip you’d like me to feature next: Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland, or Adventureland. It’s up to you! See more Encyclopaedia Britannica photos at my website.

5 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

TOMORROWLAND Please......

These are super and have a weird but fun feel to them. I always thought the "things to talk about" was an odd concept... Great Train shots, poor Susie, I bet she ended up working at Window #6 at the Anaheim DMV...

Major Pepperidge said...

I like the study questions at the end, to be sure you were paying attention during the presentation. I know that, back in the day, I would have been thrilled to see these!

All of the film strips are good, but I happen to know that the Tomorrowland strip has a number of incredible rare images, so it gets my vote.

William Bezek said...

My grandfather started his employment with Disney when they were building the park, he was a sound tech. That's his voice on the train recording saying: Alll ABBOARDDD!!! Eventhough he's dead he still lives on at Disneyland as long as they keep that recording.
I vote for Fantasyland next, all those classic characters are fun.

Katella Gate said...

Grumpy Suzy's gonna get left with Trader Sam if her attitude doesn't improve by the next station.

TokyoMagic! said...

Guests had to stand while riding in the cattle cars???

I vote for Tomorrowland next!