Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tell-No-Tales Thursdays: The Alligator Swamp & The Blue Bayou



This shot is part of a batch of Walt Disney World negs from 1975. This one from Tom Sawyer’s Island showing the Alligator Swamp shack looks mighty familiar!



This guy has always creeped me out a little; like a scene out of “Deliverance.” The same sculpt was used on one of the prisoners in the jail scene, dressed in a different outfit of course:



My one gripe about eating at the Blue Bayou Restaurant is having to listen to “Oh Susanna” over and over again. Like I said...Deliverance.



You can also find the same sculpt in the Haunted Mansion at the Ballroom Banquet Table:



See more Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean photos at my website.

6 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Tokyo has the same guy (same face) sitting on a dock alongside their river. He's fishing and he also has a dog with him. I think the guy has a name, but I can't remember what it is right now.

Katella Gate said...

Well Dave, don't complain too loud about "Oh Suzanna" or it might get replaced by Larry-the-Cable-Guy. But yeah, for a wild sound loop, I wish they'd recorded something with a playback time of 60 minutes instead of 60 seconds.

Major Pepperidge said...

I always thought that the guy on the porch was a great touch. He doesn't speak, just sits in his rocking chair and watches folks pass by. As a kid I think that, in just a few seconds, I made up a whole back-story for him. The story left my brain the second I went down the first drop though!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

That one AA sure gets around!

Interesting about WDW's Alligator Swamp shack!

TokyoMagic! said...

Beacon Joe! That's his name! I know....two days too late. I'll try and post a photo of Tokyo's Beacon Joe this week.

Chiana_Chat said...

Katella's right. That sound clip is great atmosphere; if it's changed it'd be great to have it varied / expanded upon rather than anything that is likely to happen (Pirates movie music tie-in for instance).