Friday, August 08, 2008

Disneyland, October ’59, Pt. 1



There are many sights, sounds, and smells that put a smile on my face when I enter Disneyland. One of them is waiting in line at the entrance and seeing/hearing the train pull into the Main Street Train Station. Apparently this October 1959 photographer felt the same way. I have included detail shots as well, focusing in on the Fred Gurley & Excursion Cars.







And of course the Kalamazoo Handcar:



See more vintage & current Disneyland Railroad photos at my regular website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, bright and clear, looks like they were taken last week instead of almost 50 years ago

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey where are the stanchions and velvet ropes in front of the Mickey topiary?

The Viewliner Limited said...

Beautiful Railroad Pics. Thanks Dave.

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

I commented a while back on another article about a mysterious orange ball on a pole that seemed to rise behind the Main Street Train Station. I think the second pic today solves that mystery. It seems to be a colored streetlight; you can see it behind the painted exit sign.

I wonder if these lights had anything to do with the train dispatching system of the day?