Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Welcome to Calico: The School House



Welcome to the Calico Ghost Town School House! A selfie was in order for my first visit here. It appears that the School House I saw is a replica of the original that stood on this location. It looks appropriately weathered.

Stepping back in time, here are two vintage views; the first shot shows how it looked back in March 1965:



…and February 1971. Not really all that different!



A different paint scheme; maybe they chose haint blue for the trim to keep the alleged hauntings down at the schoolhouse!




From the other side, I was able to capture the “Calico” emblazoned along the mountain. I wonder how often that needs to be refreshed?



When you get to the door, you are warned about the uneven ground conditions and are also rewarded by a vintage shot of the original schoolhouse:





Even though it was closed during my visit, that didn’t prevent me from getting an interior view through the dusty window:



Nothing vintage about the chalkboard!



See more Calico Ghost Town photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they used any of the original parts of the original schoolhouse? I like to think that they did. It looks really good. I wonder at a world where we have to warn people about the natural earth. Strange...

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the schoolhouse looked like prior to its restoration in 1955. KS

Daveland said...

Stu - Not sure; I would guess that it was a complete reconstruction.

KS: I posted the photo on the door which shows the original school house. I'm not sure if the 1955 was actually a restoration or a re-creation. Couldn't find much info about it.