Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Not-So-Temporary!



It's hard to believe Disneyland history without Wally Boag, yet when he first came to America's fabled theme park, he only signed a two-week contract when Walt sent him over to casting director, Jack Lavin.

ANAHEIM, Calif.., June 21—'TEMPORARY' JOB SEEMS PERMANENT. Eight years ago comedian Wally Boag was signed to do a two-week stint at the Golden Horseshoe revue in Disneyland. He's still there, 13,000 performances later. Here he is in a typical routine.

Wally Boag ended up having a twenty-seven year stint between Disneyland and Walt Disney World. And for those who were fortunate to catch his act "live," twenty-seven years was not enough. His talent is sorely missed, even today.

See more vintage and current Disneyland Golden Horseshoe photos on my Golden Horseshoe web page.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

While enjoying my Sundae at the Golden Horseshoe this last summer, I felt sad to see the stage there sit empty with no activity. I imagined how lively the place used to be, as I remember it in the 60-70s.

Daveland said...

Were you there between shows or was it gone temporarily?

K. Martinez said...

Billy Hill was performing at the Big Thunder Ranch complex and I saw no listing in the “Disneyland Today” entertainment guide for activity at the Golden Horseshoe. Were there performances there when you visited in Summer 2012?

Daveland said...

I rarely visit the park for very long periods of time during the summer; the last time I saw a show at the Shoe was in March. Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that Billy Hill were at the Ranch over the summer.

Dan said...

What a great shot of Wally, at an unusual viewing angle! You can really see the "teeth" stowed in his cheek from there.

Rare Golden Horseshoe Revue pics are always welcome, I used Dave's library as reference for my Wally Boag illustration a few months ago... take a look here if you'd like to see it:

http://icanbreakaway.blogspot.com/2012/09/see-you-in-disneyland-3-wally-boag-as.html