Thursday, October 04, 2007

Breakfast with Aunt Jemima



Yup, Aunt Jemima used to have her own restaurant at Disneyland, located in the “old” New Orleans section of Frontierland. From 1955 until 1970, she was the Aunt Jemima Pancake House (changed to Aunt Jemima’s Kitchen during a 1962 expansion). Aylene Lewis portrayed the famous Southern Cook at the park and would pose with guests for photos. This photo in genuine FauxD© is from summer, 1967, and I have included a closeup of the sign. Currently, this restaurant is now the Riverbelle Terrace, which is undergoing a refurbishment that should be completed mid-December.



Here’s a view from the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, showing the top of the building:



See more vintage Aunt Jemima Restaurant photos on my regular website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I've never seen a better shot of Aunt Jemima's. Any idea how long the lady portraying Aunt Jemima worked at Disneyland?

Chris Merritt said...

Probably my favorite place to eat at the park - I have great childhood memories of Mickey Mouse pancakes! I love the forced perspective gables in the last shot....

Daveland said...

David - It's my understanding that she portrayed Aunt Jemima at the park until the restaurant closed. Experts?

Anonymous said...

Dave, I seem to remember Auntie being there as long as I was. I loved the old brick interior before the renovation. It seemed to sterile after the '62 changes. But, you could get you food a lot faster after. Eating on the patio before the park opened was the best memory of all, and it was always crowded with big-wigs from the park (never saw Walt). I learned to like coffee from there too.

Stub Winged Bilge Rat said...

I love that photo looking down on the rooftops. What a cool view.

Amazon Belle said...

Beneath those rooftops was the Westside Attractions/Merchandise Offices. The blue bay window facing you in the photo (bottom right/middle) belonged to Mike Hagman. A wonderful supervisor who can still be found wandering the Park today.