Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Fowler’s Inn



June, 1965 shows Fowler’s Inn looking like it’s about ready to cave in. Anyone know if this was torn down or what ended up happening to it? BONUS PHOTO! For me, it’s kinda' like a Holy Grail thing whenever I find photos from my first trip to Disneyland. This one I just found in a drawer the other day; still looking for the original negative and hoping there are some cool shots on there. From December 27, 1970 (I’m the one in the middle with the corrective shoes...talk about geek...).



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Dave- the structure was eventually torn down and rebuilt in the mid 1990s as the Fowler Inn seen today. There once was a restaurant serving sea food and fries but even that is now closed.

At this time the building was mainly a show piece and storage shed for the tools used to maintain the Columbia and the Mark Twain. Most of my memories of this location is of the Columbia docked here (I usually went to the park right before Christmas and there was not enough of a crowd to warrant operating the Columbia.)

Chris Merritt said...

Great 1970 shot Dave! I love the Mary Blair inspired trash can out front of the old Small World queue.

Major Pepperidge said...

I just found some negatives from a Disneyland trip from sometime in the 70's. Nothing too incredible (an OK shot of the exterior of Mission to Mars), but the fashions and hairstyles of the guests sure look like the folks from "Dazed and Confused".

William Kelley said...

Don't know if anyone is reading these comments anymore (post is a week old), but the old Fowler's Inn was torn out (1987) and rebuilt (1989) during Splash Mountain construction. You can see photos of that area at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mojave33/sets/72057594140554299/