Thursday, July 26, 2007

Billie Holiday


Billie Holiday is an acquired taste; the first time I heard her raspy worn-out voice I truly thought she was awful. However, as I have gotten older and have taken the time to listen to her songs...I mean REALLY listen, I can appreciate what she does with a tune. An amazing stylist, I could listen to her all day. Even in her later years, when the voice was tattered beyond belief, she was able to accomplish brilliant things with her phrasing and bending of notes. Few singers put as much of their life and emotions into a song as Billie. To see more of my paintings, visit my regular website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is great about Billie (who i worship) and jazz in general- is that the more pain and experience you bring into a song, the better it sounds.
billie had so much pain and life in her voice, and it evolved with her time.
with each new experience and heartache, new meaning is brought into the words she sings.
billie is a true talent and i love the work you have done to represent her. well done.

Daveland said...

Thanks anonymous; what a great way to describe her talent. Yes, her emotional journeys surely do show through in her vocal renderings.