Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Disneyland, October 1955



These shots are from October 1955, exactly 53 years ago from now. It was either a crisp Autumn day or our lead gal in the photos liked to dress in layers. Here she is at the front entrance. The huge box of Toilet Paper is a nice "welcome mat" to our journey into the Kingdom, don't you think? Back in the day, the park actually was closed on Mondays. In detail shot #2, you can see 2 of the bored conductors carrying on a conversation. Where is everybody?!?





It’s about 3pm, and only a handful of guests are at the park. The conductors are still chatting it up in this photo:



Our photographer has crossed under the Main Street Train Station and entered Town Square. It appears that there might be more cast members on this day than there are guests.



See more vintage & current Disneyland entrance photos on my Disneyland entrance web page.

7 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

I can't remember if I mentioned this on my blog, but George Short said there were so few Guests around (particularly after 8 PM) that he'd bring in his tripod to take nighttime photos around the Park!

Major Pepperidge said...

I had heard that at some times during the first year, the park was often very empty. Hard to believe! I'm trying to decide, if I could take a time machine back, would I rather see it uncrowded and unobstructed, or busy and full of the energy that a bunch of people can bring to a place?

Jason Schultz said...

Presumably if you had a multiple-use time machine, you wouldn't need to choose. :) If you're taking a nice 12 megapixel digital camera with you, I'd go for "uncrowded and unobstructed"!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey, where is the line forming for the multiple-use time machine, I wanna go! I see a "Pass Entrance" sign on the left in the 3rd photo, Annual Passes in 1955?? LOL!!! These are nice historic photos Dave, thanks!

PTA Transit Authority said...

Fantastic and historic pics Dave.

Katella Gate said...

I'm wondering if all the "missing" guests aren't actually deep inside the park. Main Street is basically an access corridor, so I'd assume everybody is where the rides are. Especially if this is 3pm.

outsidetheberm said...

It's possible that the park is exactly as empty as it appears here. I can remember off season days - even as late as the late 1960s - where we 'owned' the park. Empty, empty, empty. As young kids it was great!

Nice shots, Dave. Thanks.