Sunday, June 15, 2008

Disneyland: In Living Color, 1958 Pt. 3



Back to the Rivers of America, 1958, with one of Walt’s most famous "hard truths": the Burning Cabin. Yup, that Settler has bought the farm and on top of that his Cabin is afire. Please enjoy the closeup!



And in case you didn’t get the memo, this cabin has been on "Extreme Makeover":



Ah, the lifelike Indians along the river; there’s something comforting about seeing this gent wave as you pass by on the train or the Twain:



Watch out for this cat—he is poised to pounce!





The friendly Indian Village:



Last but not least, the short-lived Stagecoach, zooming along the trails of Frontierland:



Just for fun, here are two shots of the Stagecoach broken down; it’s like a trainwreck folks, you can't look away.





Come back tomorrow for more images of our 1958 trip to Disneyland. Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter. See more vintage & current Rivers of America photos at my website.

5 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Extreme make-over indeed, sometimes Disneyland needs to just leave stuff alone, I don't think Walt would view the current Cabin as "plus’d"!!!

Cool stage coach shots, love the bright yellow wheels! I wonder why someone took photos of it when it was broken? Oh well, I'm glad they did!

Thanks Dave!

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, that's some stagecoach crash! Somebody HAD to have been hurt.

That cabin, yeesh. Even with a dead guy out front, it had more life!

Tricia Rennea (sometimes Daisy) said...

More great pictures!
I am confused about that cabin on fire, is that an effect or did a cabin really catch fire?
Frontier Land is fun to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there :)

Daveland said...

The Burning Cabin was actually on fire, however, it was a controlled special effect; for a time during the energy crisis, it was changed into a special effect without fire, similar to what is used on the Pirates of the Caribbean.

Anonymous said...

Yes, many people were seriously hurt. The horses spooked when the train blew it's whistle and the coach went out of control. I was riding on top with the driver and my parents and brother were inside. My mother suffered a broken pelvis, my brother broke a finger, and another passenger had facial cuts from their glasses. I ended up stuck with some cactus needles when we went flying off the top as it tipped over.