Friday, July 21, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean, NPC



NPC stands for Non-Politically-Correct, which is what this scene used to be considered. There was a big brouha after the 1995 remodel, when the public labeled the changes as PC. One of them included this scene with the pirate holding a woman’s undergarment as she hid in a barrel, and he mutters, "she was a feisty one, she was.” Whether these changes were made to soften the tone of the ride or to improve the storyline is still debated. But in the end, who cares...it’s still a classic ride.



See more current and vintage Pirates photos on my main website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

These look like publicity photos, very nice! I miss the girl in the barrel, though I can understand why they had to change it....

Daveland said...

These are from old viewmaster. Used to spend hours looking at those things as a kid.

Major Pepperidge said...

Ah, good old Viewmaster, I have an extensive collection of Disneyland packets (I mean borderline crazy)! Maybe I'll show some of the super rare ones on my blog.

genevil said...

This controversy was there from the very beginning and the imagineers left it up to Walt himself to make the call, and he said, "Pirates will be pirates." Never, but never, question the Captain's judgment. But now with the movie additions, it is officially a lost cause to me. Since the changes, riding this attraction now feels like rape. A piece of my childhood is dead. :(