Saturday, August 07, 2021

Back to the Hob Nob


I’ve lost a few San Diego restaurants to the pandemic, including a favorite Mexican restaurant down the street (Willis loved their chips, too). Fortunately, one of my favorite eateries is back and completely remodeled. The interior looks completely different now and includes a giant “Wizard of Oz” mural. Huh?


The recently hired waiter I had wasn’t sure of the connection, but thought it might have to do with the original owner’s name being Dorothy. Works for me.


The first owners, Harold and Dorothy Hoersch, opened the place in 1944 and called it Juniper CafĂ©. Moving to its present location in 1946 (Juniper and First Avenue), the name changed to Melody Grill, then Dorothy’s Oven, and finally Hob Nob Hill.

The menu has changed somewhat, but the high quality and excellent service have not. For a delicious Sunday brunch, how about the Bananas Foster pancakes?


Or the Strawberry Cheesecake pancakes?


The thing I was most excited about was the addition of Cincinnati Chili to the menu, which tastes EXACTLY like the famous Skyline Chili I used to eat back in college days in Indiana.


Check out Hob Nob Hill for yourself next time you’re in San Diego.

See more San Diego photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

That's great when you can find something once lost like Skyline Chili again. I have a similar issue with a quesadilla from a long defunct Mexican restaurant in Rancho Bernardo. I've never found one since. Congrats to you for finding this, and to Hob Nob for reopening. Regardless the reason, the mural is great and very welcomed. Anyone who honors the classics deserves my business.

Daveland said...

Bryan - You really need to try the chili! And....when they offer it, they have a delish blueberry pie!