Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Hump Day at the Horseshoe


Wednesday/Hump Day seems like a good day to relax at Slue Foot Sue’s Golden Horseshoe Saloon in Frontierland, doesn’t it? The first two images are from Spring 1956. That Slue Foot Sue sign is a favorite of mine.


Just in case you weren’t sure, Pepsi-Cola was the sponsor. How about that A-Frame sign in front? My best guess: “ABC Radio presents Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom. Starring Wally Boag and…” The rest is too much for my brain to comprehend today.


Just in case you weren’t sure, Pepsi-Cola was the sponsor. How about that A-Frame sign in front? My best guess: “ABC Radio presents Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom. Starring Wally Boag and…” The rest is too much for my brain to comprehend today.

UPDATE 1: Daveland reader Darryl’s brain is working much better than mine today. A shot from my collection that I previously posted. Duh.


This one is from February 1964:


I call this “Law and Order”…and a really bad Christmas sweater! Sheriff Lucky ought to lock up the mother for allowing that one.


Something cool was going on here; I wonder what they were filming for?



A spy a box of GE lamp bulbs:


From the other angle:


Even Sheriff Lucky looks somewhat interested in the proceedings:


Did he just shoot the cameraman? The poor little girl in the foreground is horrified! Permanent scars for adulthood are in her future.


UPDATE 2: Bryan, thanks for ALSO jogging my memory. This COULD be from the same day; Wally Boag during a Frontierland shoot-out:


See more Disneyland Golden Horseshoe Saloon photos at my main website.

8 comments:

Darryl said...

You have a different photo (KTPBKKTPBK_1956_N05B) of that sign. That one is a bit sharper. My guess is:

ABC Radio presents, Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom featuring Wally Boag & Reed Browning (blurry) Next Radio Show 1:20 Guest Star (blurry) No Admission Charge

Fifthrider said...

Darryl beat me to it, good job. I went looking up other copies of that sign including the 1 hour YouTube video of the Golden Horseshoe episode. Regarding that shootout, based on what everyone is wearing. I think this was the day Wally Boag was in the shootout on the roof over the west side of the Golden Horseshoe. He did a somersault off the top roof onto the one below.

Daveland said...

Darryl - You must have had Wheaties this morning. I most certainly did not! Thanks!

Daveland said...

Bryan - Thanks to you, too. I just added another previously posted shot from my collection.

Fifthrider said...

Lol, thanks Dave. Yep, that's the one! Now that I look at it I think he's actually over Don defore's BBQ.

Anonymous said...

The Moonliner Rocket visible from Frontierland in Photo #2 - wow! Talk about “visual intrusion!"

Anonymous said...

A multi camera 'shoot'? Probably only needed one take. KS

Nanook said...

I see a Burgess battery underneath the camera tripod. And, as that's an Arriflex 16mm Studio Camera Blimp w/Matte Box, it's probably a safe bet there's an Arriflex 16BL camera inside of it.

Some unusual 'behind-the-scenes' images'. Thanks.