Monday, June 28, 2021

Storybook Land/Casey Jr. Evolution


This undated 1950’s image shows two intersecting attractions, the Casey Jr. Circus Train and Storybook Land. Most likely taken by a guest near the exit of Casey, you can see the very young plants and landscaping, placing this shot around 1956/1957.


How this area looked in 2015 when I was last on the attraction:


The Skyway buckets provided this June 1958 overhead view of Monstro the Whale and the Storybook Land attraction:


Look at all that undeveloped backstage area!


A unique view of the mountains behind Pinocchio/Gepetto’s village and the Three Windmills:


Another June 1958 shot from my collection shows how that part of the attraction looks while on the ride itself:


From 2013:


…and I realized my library of vintage Storybook Land Windmill shots is mighty scarce! Here’s an undated one from 1957/1958:


…and another one from August 1959:


and finally from 2007:


See more Disneyland Storybook Land photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Nanook said...

Boy, you ain't kidding about all that 'undeveloped backstage area!' (The things one could do...) Some lovely shots - including one of [seemingly] several periods when it was referred to as Story Book Land.

Sometimes "plussing" things doesn't always 'improve' things, if you know what I mean.

Daveland said...

Nanook - I'm a big fan of less is more, so yes...I know what you mean!

Darryl said...

I never get over the attention to detail, skill..and patience to create and maintain it all!

Heck, with all that backstage area they could even put in a new land...maybe with spaceships or sumthin'

- Darryl

DBenson said...

Last time I was there (2 years ago) it was being refurbished, but I vividly recall the guide pointing out that the landscaped quilt was the World's Largest. I have never seen a landscaped quilt anywhere else, and always wondered if they actually checked.

JG said...

My perennial favorite attraction, Dave.

These are really excellent "before and after". As I understand it, SBL was inspired by, if not based on, Madurodam in the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madurodam

Th photos show how that, if the Matterhorn was "not" planned to complement the Alps in Storybook Land, then what a fine serendipity to discover how well it works as a backdrop.

While I mourned the loss of the windmills, I wasn't old enough to remember the movie and as a kid, they always stumped me. I was pleased to see that Arendell was included, since having a Frozen scene made it less likely that the whole of Storybook Land would not be destroyed to make room for a Frozen attraction.

I've heard rumors that the bobsleds may be closed permanently due to structural issues in the mountain. What if a New Matterhorn were built, extending out over the former motorboat lagoon, it could be themed to Frozen. A perfect fit.

Thank you for the pics today.

JG

Fifthrider said...

Unpopular opinion, but there are certain attractions I don't mind a little change on. I always thought the arches later added onto the SW corner of the course were a plus, especially when lit at night. I could see Storybook's longevity being based on it's flexibility. That having been said, we didn't need Agrabagh or Arendell, nor the little Mermaid's kingdom but I guess if it keeps it contemporary, it keeps it alive. The Windmills were nice and something I'd like to think Walt would have enjoyed looking at. As long as they ended up in some Imagineer's back yard or a museum, I'd understand their removal.