Monday, June 21, 2021

Miscellaneous Monday at Knott's Berry Farm


Since this October 1959 image came with a batch of Disneyland shots, I originally thought it must be from the Golden Horseshoe, except for the inscription which clearly states Knott’s. Comparing the stage/curtain to Disneyland, it most certainly is not a match…


whereas it definitely matches this color shot of Steve Martin at the Birdcage from 1965:


Note the sign on the left advertising the Old-Time Melodramas at the Bird Cage in this 1950s shot:


This 1956 photo is another shot in the dark (pun semi-intended).


Perhaps it’s the Knott’s Berry Farm Pitchur Gallery?


The exterior of the Pitchur Gallery and Portrait Artist circa 2018:


This 1956 photo will have you saying “E-I-E-O”:


A closeup of the snack stand:


I wonder if these 1956 kiddie rides would pass a safety inspection today?


I can barely make out what the sign on the post at the left says; something about “No Folks … Please …Free Ride On Merry-Go-Round. Thanks.” Anyone…anyone?


The authentic San Francisco Cable Car that functioned as a parking lot tram:


Wonder if she has any tasty snacks in those bags?


Another vintage 1956 shot from my collection of the SF Cable Car at Knott’s. Apparently these were removed in 1979 and went back to San Francisco.


Last one for today is a 1957 shot of a little boy posing with one of the Indians at Knott’s…and he had the audacity to wear what appears to be a Disneyland Keppy Kap!


See more vintage and contemporary Knott's Berry Farm photos at my main website.

7 comments:

Jenn @ Fairest Run Of All said...

I think it MIGHT say "No rules, save for please only one free ride on merry-go-round"?

Fifthrider said...

NO POLES HAVE (Batman Wings)
HO FOLKS RAVE (Giant letter M)
NO RULES ABOVE (Seagull approaching)

....but I'll go with

NO FOLKS ABOVE 48"

...or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear the cable cars went back to SF. It was fun to watch them come and go at the Cable Car Kitchen. Parking was free and so was admission. KS

Chuck said...

That sign is a stumper. The first line looks to me like it says “No folks have fun,” but that doesn’t make much sense. Positive the next red lettering says “Only one free ride.”

Not all of the cable cars went home. Number 43 went to the Orange Empire Railway Museum (now the Southern California Railway Museum) in Perry’s, CA, the current home of most of Ward Kimball’s Grizzly Flats RR equipment and memorabilia.

Chuck said...

Not “Perry’s” - Perris. Stupid autocorrect…

Daveland said...

You are all much smarter than I am....at least at 6am!

Chuck - I need to get to Perris!

Chuck said...

Dave, you really do. I went to a stream-up day back in 1994 and I’m positive I saw Betty Kimball, Ward’s wife, there. Ward was probably off running one of the trains; he’d already donated one locomotive and some cars and had pledged to donate the rest of his collection.