Thursday, September 08, 2011

Traveling Thursdays: Vintage Savannah, Georgia



Anyone who knows me very well knows that it would be a difficult choice for me to make if I had to choose between a week's vacation at Disneyland in Anaheim or historic Savannah, Georgia. Chances are, Savannah would win. Something about the history, hospitality, and haunting of this southern city draws me back to it. This batch of vintage November 1977 shots will be interspersed with a few of my own contemporary photos. These first two show the interior of the Green-Meldrim House in Madison Square. Once occupied by General Sherman during the Civil War, this 1861 Gothic Revival mansion now serves as a museum and special event location.



Here are two exterior views that I shot back in 2007:





Over in Telfair Square, The Telfair Academy reigns supreme as one of the best art galleries in town. If you weren't sure that these photos came from the 1970's, the vehicles definitely give it away. Would you take a historic tour in this van?



Today, the Academy looks a little spiffier:



This painting is one of my favorites in the collection there:



These two 1977 photos show the residences that border Washington Square:





Down the street from Washington Square is the historic Mulberry Inn, once a livery stable and cotton warehouse, and then Coca Cola bottling facility:



See more vintage and contemporary Savannah, Georgia photos on my Savannah web page.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Those southern states are a whole huge part of the country that I haven't visited (except for Georgia, where I apparently lived for a short while when I was a pup).

Connie Moreno said...

Dave, I think we should do a photo shooting tour!