Thursday, September 01, 2011

Traveling Thursdays: Laguna Beach

The first time I visited Laguna Beach was back in 2000; I was working for a dot-bomb company and we were doing an article on Wyland for a magazine that never got published. It was still a fun experience! Laguna is a beautiful (sometimes) sleepy little artist community just south of Anaheim (to put it into perspective for all the D-Land fans out there).

Imagine your backyard view being the Pacific Ocean. Apparently, Wyland and his franchise-style art concept isn't doing too bad.

Laguna is widely known for its annual Pageant of the Masters Festival, where art is re-created on a stage. It's a little wacky, but actually pretty cool to see.

There were some expert sand sculptors at work during my visit last weekend:

This reminds me of Skull Rock (I wonder what kind of a Rorshach test that vision of mine indicates?):

Heisler Park in Laguna is the perfect place for a picnic:

I couldn't even begin to explain what this is supposed to be, but I am surprised these two haven't been arrested.

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter. See more Laguna Beach photos at my Laguna Beach webpage.


Major Pepperidge said...

I've always been curious about that Pageant of the Masters. Such a kooky idea!

Anonymous said...

A jewel of a location. The folks and I drive from Costa Mesa down to a favorite viewpoint when I am in SoCal to visit them. When there, I have 'flash-back' (no drugs required) memories as a CM at DLand when we'd enjoy after hour parties at '1,000 Steps' beach in the evenings/night.

Connie Moreno said...

Very cool and I agree with you about that last couple...weird!