Monday, June 09, 2008

Toy Story Midway Mania!



Today’s post is a departure from the usual; not a single durn photo from the past. Those of you interested in the park of yore will just have to be patient until tomorrow. Thanks to my buddy "B," I was able to get onto the new Toy Story Midway Mania attraction at DCA. My expectations: they weren’t high, as the concept sounded somewhat lame-o to me and I couldn't see it being much different from Buzz Lightyear (which I actually do enjoy). How I felt afterwards: I rode the damn thing 4 friggin' times and still loved it! It was absolutely incredible...hands down one of my favorite "new" attractions at the park. The first photo is one of the many fun posters in the queue, showcasing the different Midway games that guests play as their vehicle takes them from room to room. The highlight of the queue is the giant Mr. Potato Head, voiced by Don Rickles. He actually talks to guests passing by (similar to Roz in the Monsters Inc. attraction) AND moves...with the showstopper being him pulling his ear out and reattaching it. INCREDIBLE!



Here are some shots of the vehicles which seat 4; 2 on each side:





PLENTY of fun imagery to see as you are whisked from game to game:





And here’s what guests look like as they shoot at the video screen liked crazed maniacs:



The video effects in Nemo are not all that great; the 3D effects in this are out of this world. Many cool surprises await you on this one. The drawback? Yup, there has to be one...anticipating Anaheim in the summer, the queue is going to be hot. Ceiling fans were spinning overhead the other night, and that barely took care of the heat that was already being felt as guests wound around the queue. A small price to pay though for this AWESOME new attraction. See more Toy Story Midway Mania photos at my website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I've been hearing lots of good things about this ride, particularly the convincing 3-D effects... it sounds like they've taken the best of Buzz Lightyear and Nemo and added some improvements to make this an especially fun ride!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great first hand report Dave! I've got a AP preview slot for Thursday, I wasn't even sure about going, but I'll take your word for it and go check it out. Thanks for the review.

Unknown said...

Dave...

No pictures of the viewmaster reel?

Unknown said...

Whoops!

Sorry, Dave!

I know there is one at the WDW ride. I just assumed there was one at DCA.

Great review, though!