Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Disneyland: In Living Color, 1958 Pt. 5





Today’s entire post will be spent on the Jungle Cruise, circa 1958, with the photos presented in the order that they were taken. Where possible, each photo will be paired with a contemporary view. This has got to be one of the most comprehensive sets of photos in my collection from one voyage (besides the obsessive ones that I take!). The butterflies in this shot are one of the most difficult things to capture, due to the speed of the boat and the poor lighting.





One of my favorite sections of the old Jungle Cruise is this area of the Ancient City:



The famous African Bull Elephant:





Originally, this African Veldt scene occurred without any cover over the feasting felines:





Naturally, there is at least one Hippo shot in the batch:



The natives are doing their thing:







Can you believe they even got the back side of water?!?





And the final shot is one that we don’t see any more; this ape bit the dust years ago:



See more vintage & current Jungle Cruise photos at my website.

5 comments:

Thufer said...

one of of not my favorite rides and settings in the entire park. i never get tired of the originality and expressive-'ness' of this area and ride. has long been a favorite and one of my oldest memories of the park from my very first visit.
thank you for a wonderful voyage.

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, this person just kept snapping and snapping! It's funny certain rides brought out the cameras - - the Mark Twain, Storybook Land, and the Skyway of course. Strangely, the Disneyland RR did NOT have that effect!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I am always amazed when I see a good butterfly photo; I have yet to get one myself. Nice work! Great post! There was a rather large line for the Jungle Cruise last week, I think the “buzz” with the Indy stunt show had bumped up the interest in the old attraction. I gotta be sure to ride it next time! Thanks Dave!

outsidetheberm said...

Nice comparison shots, Dave.

Always liked the vultures in the tree above the old lions.

Unknown said...

Those are some amazing shots.

New and old!