Thursday, December 23, 2021

1960 Palm Springs Panorama



In my ongoing quest for interesting (to me, at least) vintage slides, I stumbled upon a number of images that were labeled as a hotel in Palm Springs, circa 1960.



I immediately recognized the hotel as the Riviera, which I have stayed at a number of times. At first glance, none of these shots were extremely interesting. Until…



I wondered if it would be possible to digitally “stitch” the images together to get a panorama shot? As it turned out, yes...it was possible, and here it is. MUCH more interesting!



I’m not sure if the 1960 photographer intended to get three consecutive coverage shots or not, but they definitely did! Unfortunately, none of the shots I’ve taken during my past visits matched up. Regardless, here’s how the pool (and there are at least two pools at this hotel) looked in 2018:





I guess I need to go back!

See more Riviera Hotel photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Fifthrider said...

Once again, your photography makes it look a thousand times more Vivid than reality. Great job stitching those shots together. Sadly, all I can focus on is the guy in the middle. Black hat, white shirt, red shorts, pale white legs that are destined to Blind all those who looked directly at them, and then those black socks. That right there says "1960s" by itself.