Monday, May 31, 2021

1955 Dumbo Details



This 1955 image of the Dumbo Flying Elephants attraction at Disneyland caught my attention for a number of reasons. The most obvious one is that it captures the mechanism that allowed Dumbo’s ears to flap while the attraction was in motion. Apparently it was problematic, and guests today will see that the ear is now part of the overall mold rather than a separate piece.



Even modern day technology couldn’t make it work.



The biggest “wow” for me in the 1955 shot was this phone booth; very jarring. I don’t think it must have lasted long, as in my VERY quick search, I couldn’t find it in any other shots from my collection. Any way, what would you have needed a phone booth for? “Hey Ma, I’m at Disneyland! You won’t believe it...Dumbo’s ears actually flap!”



I also enjoyed seeing all the little gadgets at this refreshment stand:



The one mystery to me is this little area which looks like a vintage coffee can sitting in a recessed area.



Here are some previously posted shots that show the same area and the refreshment stand:





Leave it to “Anonymous” to see the same phone booth in my shot from December 1955:



Now if only “Anonymous” could solve the mystery of the coffee can. Waiting…

See more Disneyland Dumbo Flying Elephants attraction photos at my main website.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your last photo does have a phone booth.

Daveland said...

Good eye, Anonymous; now if you could just solve the bigger mystery of the coffee can.

Fifthrider said...

Having recently poured through all of your Fantasyland pics, I've never once noticed the phone booth. Of course I never went looking for one either. The long canopies in the second-to-last shot weren't there until '56 or '57 at which point the phone booth is gone, so you're right, it was short lived.

I'm sure that even if they could figure out the mechanism to make Dumbo's ears flay today, there would have to be warning labels all over the ride vehicle "Don't stick fingers in here!" by the hinge. This is why we can't have nice things.

The thing I learned which I never knew before is that those wraparound counters of the snack shack come to an end. I always thought they were a complete 360 all the way around, I never knew there was an end to the counter. That round building had a twin on the other side of the tea cup ride but it's back was to the wall so it had to have a terminating counter.

As for the coffee can, it's probable that this is the entrance to Timothy Q. Mouse's breakroom since he's visible atop the Dumbo ride in some pics but gone in others. That's brilliant to have it look like that so as to blend in with the improvisational repair techniques of the 1950's, sticking a coffee can over an open hole/valve in the ground, etc. It looks so realistic.

Nanook said...

Some really wonderful images. Gotta love that phone booth-! Another one can be spotted adjacent to the Junior Autopia; LOOKIE HERE. And undoubtedly, there were others scattered throughout the Park in its formative years.

The refreshment stand adjacent to Dumbo was referred to as "Fan 1"; and the refreshment stand adjacent to Mr. Toad's & Alice was "Fan 2" - as in Fantasia Foods, if memory serves.

Thanks, Dave.

Anonymous said...

Dave, these are a lot of fun!

I don't remember any standard-issue phone booths, by my time, I think these were all turned in for themed phone locations.

I sort-of have a memory of the moving ears, but it's probably a conflation of something I heard about and not something I experienced in real life. They would have been a fun effect, but undoubtedly a maintenance nightmare, like Monstro's spout and his winking eye.

Here is my take on the coffee can: It looks like it is sitting in an area drain (storm water) grate. This might have been to keep it from scooting around on the concrete. I'm going to guess that it is there for the CM to toss FOD (Foreign Object Debris) into it, stuff they pick up from the ground while loading the passengers. First guess was an impromptu ashtray, but no smoking allowed for CM's, so it is something else, but definitely has a purpose.

JG

nick said...

Happy belated 15th anniversary, Dave! I have been off-Disney for a while, but your blog beckoned me back. Have you been in the part since the COVID re-opening? It will be another year or so before I explore Galaxy's Edge. So blogs like yours keep me up to date -- better yet, back-storying the Disneyland of my youth.

Daveland said...

Hi Nick - It's been almost 6 years since I was last at Disneyland. I can't say I'm in a rush to go back.