Monday, May 24, 2021

Vintage Hollywood Bowl


This vintage 1940’s shot of the entrance to the Hollywood Bowl screams art deco in the best way possible. Anyone out there able to figure out what the neon sign at the edge of the frame on the left was for? It’s probably something obvious, but not to me. Too much birthday celebration last weekend. The statue at the entrance was still fairly new when this photo was taken; designed by sculptor George Stanley (designer of the Oscar statuette), it was installed in 1940.


This vintage 1965 image shows a guest posing with the bandshell behind her. The 1928 bandshell concentric circle design was by Lloyd Wright, Frank’s son. Unfortunately, it wasn’t built for the ages and had to be replaced a year later by one that looked similar, but was apparently not quite as good acoustically. Oh those Allied Architects; if only they had consulted with Lloyd. Mercifully, the 1980s Frank Gehry designed fiberglass spheres were removed in 2003 when the entire shell was replaced.


Can you believe the entrance is still there? Or at least it was when I snapped this 2015 image:


UPDATE: Thanks to Darryl for finding this 1948 shot from the USC Digital Library of the mystery neon sign which says “Auto Park Full”:


See more Hollywood Bowl photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Fifthrider said...

Happy birthday! I had no idea. Now I feel bad I didn't know or speak up sooner. I hope it was a good one!

I'm glad you mentioned the Oscar reference because without that I would have wondered if it was the same sculptor or someone who was going for a similar vibe by using the same style.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a happy birthday, Dave.

This post made my day to learn about the Oscar sculptor and to hear that the Frank Gehry defacements have been removed. Thank you!

I visited the Bowl many years ago, just to see it. Never attended a performance there. Closest I got was the Monty Python special.

JG

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you Dave! My only visit to the Bowl was in 1967 to see The Who. I believe it was $5. KS

Darryl said...

Found it! That sign says "AUTO PARK FULL" which looks to be neon and is lit when full.

Foud a pix on USC's archives:

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15799coll170/id/21396

- Darryl

"Lou and Sue" said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Dave!

Daveland said...

Thanks all for the bday wishes. It was a good one.

KS - You sure got a deal for $5!!

Darryl - thank you so much!